[TriLUG] Is TWC throttling CDN traffic (youtube/amazonprime/netflix) ?

Matt Flyer matt at noway2.thruhere.net
Mon Apr 8 05:16:34 EDT 2013

Here is a little bit more information on the source.  It is XO
communications, which like TWC is headquartered in Herndon, VA.  Using
the team-cmyru IP to ASN page, http://asn.cymru.com/cgi-bin/whois.cgi, I
found that this IP correlates to ASN 2828.  Then going to
cidr-report.org, did a lookup of the IP addresses assigned to this ASN
(http://www.cidr-report.org/cgi-bin/as-report?as=2828). Unfortunately,
IPV4 is a massive piece of swiss cheese and they have a boatload of IP
addresses associated with them.

According to the reddit post, some people were reporting needing to
block multiple spans and undoubtedly TWC will attempt to adapt by
changing the addresses, just like spammers do.  Consequently, it may be
necessary or desirable to block all of XO (?)

The link above, from cidr-report will give you the IP address range.

Lastly, here is a link
(www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-security-4/determine-ip-address-blocks-owned-an-isp-to-stop-hacking-attempts-481822/#post2415745)
to a post on LQ.org, courtesy of unSpawn with a script to extract the IP
addresses from a cidr report for use with an iptables filter.  The
script is dated and may need a little tweaking.  A better alternative
today, may be to use ipset.