[TriLUG] About time-warner broadband

David Burton ncdave4life at gmail.com
Mon Apr 8 12:15:23 EDT 2013

I don't know that T-W blocks any ports, but most big mailservers block SMTP
(port 25) from mailservers on dynamic IPs, by checking reverse DNS, or by
checking sorbs and/or spamhaus:
http://whatismyipaddress.com/blacklist/spamhaus

To check your IP, see:
http://whatismyipaddress.com/blacklist-check
and http://remote.12dt.com/

My Time-Warner residential IP (which is "dynamic" but hasn't actually
changed in many months) is blacklisted on:

dnsbl.sorbs.net
dul.dnsbl.sorbs.net
pbl.spamhaus.org
zen.spamhaus.org
dyn.shlink.org

How does your T-W Business Class compare w/r/ to the block-lists?  (And do
you have the static IP option?)

BTW, has anyone talked T-W into selling them a static IP for Residential
Class service?

On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 10:03 AM, <matt at noway2.thruhere.net> wrote:

> I am planning on doing the exact same thing in June is up with TWC-BC,
> entirely for the purpose of saving money.
>
> I am not aware of TWC residential blocking any ports, at least they didn't
> used to but residential spam bots have become such a ubiquitous problem
> that blocking port 25 brings a lot of protection without inconvenience for
> >99.999% of their customers.
>
> My thought was to create a VPN tunnel between my home machine(s) and the
> front end hosted server, effectively making the hosted system part of the
> local net while encrypting the traffic and avoiding port blocking.
>

> > Since I have cable in place and no land line phone service, I will
> > probably go with Time Warner Broadband residential service.

That's almost certainly your best bet, if AT&T U-Verse isn't available.
 Not satellite, that's for sure!

However, you can probably get AT&T DSL (current promotional rate $15/mo)
even *without* land-line voice service.  Once upon a time they wouldn't
sell you DSL w/o a voice line, but that changed some years ago.

Dave