[TriLUG] About time-warner broadband

Chris Merrill chris at webperformance.com
Mon Apr 8 13:43:12 EDT 2013

I've been running web and mail servers on my TWC/RR residential for many years,
starting back in ~2000 up until about 2 years ago.  Never had a problem....except
I needed to route outgoing mail through one of the TWC servers.  This is because
the residential IP range is blacklisted by most mail services (for good reason).
The ports weren't blocked, though.

FWIW, I currently have UVerse service and am still running those servers. With
UVerse I did have to call tech support, escalate to a higher level tech and have
them turn off port 25 blocking. I got better upstream bandwidth for the same
price, compared to TWC at the time I switched.

Chris

On 4/8/2013 1:34 PM, David Burton wrote:
> I don't think T-W has a policy prohibiting servers, in general.  Maybe
> outbound mailservers, though.
>
> But I don't see anything about even mailservers here:
> http://triad.rr.com/nynj/about/policies/regulatorynotices/subscriberagreement/
>
> Dave
>

> On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 12:39 PM, Andy Barnhart <arbarnhart at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> One of their techs told me that they pretty much only change the IP for a
>> reason (activity that makes them suspect you are running a server)...

chris at webperformance.com                |  http://webperformance.com
919-433-1762                            |  919-845-7601

Web Performance: Website Load Testing Software & Services