[TriLUG] Database Software

Alan Porter porter at trilug.org
Fri Apr 12 08:58:59 EDT 2013

> Out of curiosity (especially since I don't do much C++/Qt
> programming), what don't you like about the KDE platform? (Or are you
> just trying to cut down on duplicated features?)

I don't go so far as avoiding all KDE libraries.  But I can see a good
motivation to avoid installing multiple "desktop" packages.  Each
desktop environment adds their own sysadmin apps to your global menu.
So suddenly you find yourself with multiple "screenshot" applications
and "sound preferences" and "printers".  Then you have to figure out
which one is the "good one" and how they fight with each other.

So even though I have switched back and forth among KDE, gnome, unity,
xfce and lxde over time, I try to keep only one desktop environment on
my main Linux PC.

Interested to hear why Steve avoids KDE altogether.

--
# Alan Porter