[TriLUG] Android browser -> Linux web server using only Bluetooth?

Andy Barnhart arbarnhart at gmail.com
Sat Apr 13 09:55:16 EDT 2013

My biggest problem right now is that I am in over my head trying to get BT
working on Angstrom Linux on the BeagleBone. I plug in the BT USB dongle
and then submit these commands:

hciconfig hci0 up
lsusb
hciconfig hci0 up
hcitool dev
hciconfig hci0 piscan
hciconfig -a

and I get signs of life - a light starts blinking. I run a BT terminal on
another device and I see the device as available on the list of nearby
devices. When I select it, I see the blinking light on the dongle go solid
for a second or two, so they are talking. But they don't come to any
agreement and the connection fails. hciconfig tells me there was data sent
and received with no errors. I realize this is not DUN networking, but I
was expecting to do a baseline test and I would also find this useful for
other reasons.

Any help would be appreciated as far as suggestions about what I need to do
to get that baseline connection working and then what to do to bridge it to
the network.

I am a long time Windows and firmware developer without much Linux, so I
understand the concepts of what the various services and pieces do but when
you tell me I need to do something specific please don't make any polite
assumptions about  me not being an idiot. Specific command lines are
greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Andy