[TriLUG] upgrading pilot - 4/20

Alan Porter porter at trilug.org
Mon Apr 15 14:57:35 EDT 2013

> Would it make sense to use CentOS 6 for pilot since that is supported until
> Nov 2020 and you don't have to do a reload when ubuntu expires?

Just for the sake of argument, Ubuntu 10.04 will be supported until
April 2015.  I suppose I could sandbag for a while.  CentOS would
certainly buy me even more sandbag time.

Hey, while we're talking about it... you don't know how close we came to
having CentOS on pilot.  When we rebuilt pilot in February 2009 (after
that "RoundCube" incident), John Berninger was our primary sysadmin, and
he was much more comfortable with rpm than with dpkg, and so suggested a
fresh install of CentOS.  But he was going to be out of town that
weekend, so I got the privilege of rebuilding pilot, and I chose Ubuntu.

--
# Alan Porter