[TriLUG] Coursera Python course *does* give certificates was Re: [trianglearduino:810] Python Class

David Burton ncdave4life at gmail.com
Mon Apr 15 20:30:50 EDT 2013

On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 6:35 PM, Pete Soper <pete at soper.us> wrote:

> Quick update: When this Rice U Python course was first offered by Coursera
> <http://coursera.org> last year they said up front: no certificates.
>
> But there is a certificate signed by Joe, Scott, and John available if you
> finished this course. Just log into Coursera and click on "course records"
> under your name and you can get a PDF.
>
> The new instance of this course <https://www.coursera.org/**
> course/interactivepython<https://www.coursera.org/course/interactivepython>>
> started today.

Thanks for this, Pete.

The FAQ says:
Q: Will I get a certificate after completing this class?
A: Yes. Students who successfully complete the class will receive a
Statement of Accomplishment signed by Joe, Scott, John, and Stephen.

But, OTOH, they now have a non-free ($49) "Signature
Track<http://www.coursera.org/signature/course/interactivepython/970391>"
through which you may *"Earn official recognition from Rice University and
Coursera for your accomplishment with a verifiable electronic certificate."*
*
*
So, question #1 is, what's the difference between the free one and the $49
one?

The course description says students will build applications which *"involve
windows whose contents are graphical and respond to buttons, the keyboard
and the mouse... *[which]* **will include building fun games such as Pong,
Blackjack, and Asteroids."*

So question #2 is, what module(s) do they use to build games?  Pygame?
 Pyglet?  Something else?