[TriLUG] Coursera Python course *does* give certificates was Re: [trianglearduino:810] Python Class

Pete Soper pete at soper.us
Mon Apr 15 21:39:58 EDT 2013

The "Signature Track" is a path toward monetization for Coursera and a
way for folks taking their courses to get real credit at other
institutions. I was offered this for a math course I just finished, with
verbiage to the effect that some schools would accept the credits. They
warn people to check if a particular institution accepts their credits
(sounds like a set up, but hopefully "Coursera who?" <repeat 20k times>
"Yes, we do now!")

With "Signature Track" you take the final exam with a proctor in a more
controlled environment.

Yes, last year the Python course guys offered squat for certificates.
But they changed their tune, and the FAQ snippet appears to be the same
as for several other courses recently or currently offered. Maybe this
is universal now, I don't know.

A Python to Javascript compiler and web-based IDE with absolutely
trivial-easy cloud storage is used for the course. I can't relate the
libraries involved to Pygame or Pyglet, but the reference for the GUI
libraries is here (click the "Graphics" button):

     http://www.codeskulptor.org/docs.html

-Pete