[TriLUG] Reverse DNS

Brian McCullough bdmc at bdmcc-us.com
Wed Apr 17 06:34:09 EDT 2013

I should have asked for help earlier, but "better late than never."

I am helping a friend with his domain, and he has just had to change
ISPs, so all the IPs have changed.

We seem to have good NS records, good A and MX records, because I can
use "host" to look up all of his public machines.

I have created a reverse file with PTR records for all of the allocated
IPs in the range, and I can use host to get a good response for those,
or at least I think it's a good response.  At least it resolves to
something.

However, certain mail hosts, and even web tools, say that there are no
reverse DNS records to be found.

What might I have done wrong, and how might I fix it?

I will be happy to share examples.

Thanks,
Brian