[TriLUG] cracked shared hosting: what to do?

Kevin Hunter Kesling hunteke at earlham.edu
Wed Apr 17 19:19:04 EDT 2013

At 7:11pm -0400 Wed, 17 Apr 2013, John Broome wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 12:43 PM, Kevin Hunter Kesling wrote:
>> Suffice it say, I've not yet had an "Aha!" moment.
>
> If you're still using that same host that was cracked, i'd say
> you definitely haven't had an 'aha' moment yet.

Actually, I've had this thought many times.  Unfortunately, it's not my
decision.  Fortunately, I'm not paying for it ($).  Unfortunately, I
_am_ paying for it (time).  We very well /may/ change hosts, but at the
moment, fixing as well as possible this issue is my task.

In short: I agree.  Once a host has been compromised, the only way to be
sure[1] is to find the current vulnerability, and then reinstall a
new/updated/fixed version from scratch.  The bottom line is that I don't
have root access, and this is a shared machine.

:-(

Kevin

[1] for varying degrees of paranoia.  I -- apparently -- am rather
paranoid.  (Of course, it's not paranoia if they really /are/ out to get
you!)