[TriLUG] Wireless Access Point

Grawburg grawburg at myglnc.com
Thu Apr 18 09:02:20 EDT 2013

I live in a two story older house (meaning the walls are thick plaster over lathing). My network/Internet set-up is
in a first floor room (no, it cannot be moved). I have a router that my input from my ISP (Greenlight in Wilson) connects
to. Attached to the router is a D-Link NAS. When I need to connect to the NAS or the Internet I plug in an old
wireless access point I got from a hotel.  Works well, but is only a 'b'. My primary point of use is in a second floor
room.

Here's my question:  I have a mixture of Thinkpads that may be connected to the network individually not simultaneously.
This includes OS/2, Win XP, Linux. Two of the Thinkpads are 'b' and one is a 'g'.  Any thoughts out there about a
new access point (or even a newer used one) that is a bit more reliable and has enough "umph" than something I'd
get at Staples?

Thanks,
Brian Grawburg