[TriLUG] VPN (router) recommendation

John Vaughters jvaughters04 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 19 08:18:23 EDT 2013

I've been buying NetGear WNR2000 refurb N routers for $20-30 at Tiger here locally. Then loading dd-wrt, which is an embedded linux firmware. What I like best about it is I can use it just like any other linux device and with ssh, I can set up firewall rules on the fly. I used to use smoothwall with old computers, but I just got tired of fighting the old hardware.

With this set up you can set up a VPN with Windows very easily, but mainly I prefer to do everything with ssh and forwarded X. Unfortuanately that does not work well on Windows, so VPN is still a great option. You can also create a local hotspot where the routers are networked together via wireless mesh network. Although I have not had to do that with the N router.