[TriLUG] VPN (router) recommendation

John Vaughters jvaughters04 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 19 10:00:08 EDT 2013

Hardware has gotten so cheap the old stuff is trully only good for training. Meaning not running all the time. Fanless computers, Routers that can be flashed with better Linux Software than the manufacturers software. There is no reason to fight old hardware anymore. I spend $20-30 on a router and load one of these. If you Brick it, who cares, low cost education. BTW, I have yet to brick one. It is pretty hard to mess it up if you follow the instructions. Then if you like what you see, buy a more rubust one, but for 6 VPN's I doubt you will need one.

Full Linux Router Solutions

http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index - This is what I use, huge compatibility with many lowcost routers
https://openwrt.org/ - supposedly better and more reliable I have not yet tried