[TriLUG] Question about how mailman archives

Chris Bullock cgbullock at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 24 12:48:21 EDT 2013

I am trying to free up some space on our mail server to buy us some time before we migrate to another platform and the disk usage by mailman is confusing to me.

In my mailman folder I have files for each mailing list, I have a .mbox file and then a folder with all the emails I assume.  Within the folder with the emails, there are files associated with however I told mailman to archive, eg monthly, quarterly, etc..  So let's take the month of March 2013 for a mailing list.  There is a folder with the month, in that folder is a bunch of html files with all the messages sent to that mailing list.  Then there is a .txt file that contains all the emails sent to the mailing list for that month.  In addition to that there is a .gz of that same .txt file.

So here are the questions.
What is the purpose of the gz?
Can i move the gz files off the server?
If the gz is to conserve space, then why keep the .txt file?

28K Mar 31 22:30 2013-March
32M Mar 31 22:30 2013-March.txt
4.3M Apr  1 03:27 2013-March.txt.gz

TIA,