[TriLUG] Question about how mailman archives

Chuck Peters cp at axs.org
Wed Apr 24 13:55:58 EDT 2013

On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 12:48 PM, Chris Bullock <cgbullock at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I am trying to free up some space on our mail server to buy us some time
> before we migrate to another platform and the disk usage by mailman is
> confusing to me.
>
> In my mailman folder I have files for each mailing list, I have a .mbox
> file and then a folder with all the emails I assume.

I think you may have found the file you want.  It has been a while...  When
I wanted to clean up some messages from an archive I found an mbox file
with all the messages, edited it and rebuilt the archive.  It wasn't a very
active list, prep and a backup MX minimized downtime and no lost mail...

If you want to clean up all the archive space, save the mbox file on
another machine, rebuild the archives and when you migrate append the new
mbox archives to the old one and rebuild.

The mailman list people are usually very helpful and may have better
suggestions!  Be sure to read the FAQ "How can I remove a post from the
list archive or remove an entire archive?" at
http://wiki.list.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=4030681 first.

Chuck