[TriLUG] Palmer for another SC term; proposed amendment to the bylaws

Scott Chilcote scottchilcote at att.net
Wed Apr 24 15:35:52 EDT 2013

On 04/24/2013 01:22 PM, Cristóbal Palmer wrote:
> http://pebkac.homelinux.net/2013/04/24/an-anti-harassment-policy-for-trilug

I agree with Cristóbal's points regarding the value of TriLUG being
inclusive, and how an anti-harassment policy plays into that.

I have had the good fortune to be partnered with a woman who has had a
technical career for over twenty years.  This has given me the
opportunity to share many first-hand examples of applied sexism and
misogyny, often with no apparent awareness by the responsible individual
(or organization).  My wife attended a total of two TriLUG meetings over
the years, but could not help feeling like the only woman in the room.
Well she was, both times.  There are technical groups in the area she
attends that have more diverse memberships.

The way TriLUG has been organized and operated over the years makes it
seem highly unlikely that it will become inflexible and dictatorial
about policy enforcement.  In the unlikely event of it happening, the
next SC election would certainly clear the slate.

I'd also like to thank Crisóbal for bringing this up.  I had gotten so
used to the status quo that I've forgotten how it used to seem odd.
Geeks come in all nationalities and combinations of human chromosomes.
I'd like the opportunity to benefit from more points of view.

    Scott C.

--
Scott Chilcote
Cary, NC USA