[TriLUG] Media Services and Linux

Tarus Balog tarus at opennms.org
Wed Apr 24 16:12:39 EDT 2013

Gang:

I have been on a quest for the last two years to totally wean myself
from Apple products toward using Linux full time. I have been moderately
successful, and now run several Ubuntu desktops, an Android phone with
Cyanogenmod, and an Asus router with Tomato.

Where I am lacking is with media capture and streaming. For years I've
used a Mac Mini with an EyeTV adapter as my DVR. I'm old school and get
my television over the air. I also like using iTunes to stream music to
various Airplay devices, mainly Apple Airport Express cubes with
speakers plugged into the audio port. Since I run OS X on the Mini I can
just use iTunes to stream.

Any suggestions for getting similar functions with a pure Linux
solution? I am drawn toward the Openelec project since it is a small
installation of XBMC, but I can't seem to find the hardware specs on a
complete turn key solution. It would have to have HDMI out, a TV capture
function/card and at least one USB port for an external drive and
another for an IR receiver. I want something small and quiet, just like
the Mini.

As for Airplay, the Logitech Squeezebox products look promising, but
again my Google-fu is weak and I can't seem to find exactly what I'm
looking for as far as using them under Linux.

I would be interested in hearing how you folks handle your DVR needs
with Linux, as well as any other experiences you care to share
concerning media management and streaming.

-T
--
Tarus BALOG, Maintainer                     Main:   +1 919 533 0160
The OpenNMS Group, Inc.                     Fax:    +1 773 345 3645