[TriLUG] Parallel dev SBC coming this summer for under $100

Sean Korb spkorb at gmail.com
Wed Apr 24 22:27:30 EDT 2013

Maybe.  If your algorithm splits your data into 64 discrete processes (or
more if scheduled) and they each take  less than 16MB (probably less since
the kernel has to live somewhere too) then this is going to work great!
It's also really good for pedagogical purposes since it's very inexpensive
and you may be working on... well, an algorithm that does what I mentioned
above and you don't want to bother the supercomputer guys for some compute
time.

For a long shallow data pool this is a great device, and I'd like to play
around with it, quite honestly.  It looks like a great platform to lean the
ins and outs of parallel programming and maybe do some groovy projects with
robotics (like that other article about the Pi powered terrifying spider)
and AI.  There really isn't room to run a traditional scheduler but if you
don't have to prioritize jobs and just want to let them run it shouldn't be
a problem.  Part of the learning experience.

Wow.  I started out wanting to lower expectations and now I can't wait to
get my hands on one.  Strange the way the mind works.

sean