[TriLUG] Palmer for another SC term; proposed amendment to the bylaws

Aaron Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Thu Apr 25 07:30:09 EDT 2013

So... I'm a bit mixed on the Anti-Harassment policy[1], but I feel strongly
compelled to point out that bike lanes are a terrible thing.  Speaking as
someone who has commuted daily[2] to work by bicycle for months in areas
with copious bike lanes (parts of the Bay Area) and those with out
(basically all of NC), I can say with strong conviction that they make
everyone less safe[3].  So I would suggest a better analogy than bike
lanes, because I can definitely say not everyone agrees that bike lanes are
a net positive.

Aaron S. Joyner

1 - Not tolerating harassment, and avoiding gender and sexual orientation
bias (which seems to be a large component of the policy) , should be an
obvious part of *any* discourse in *any* civilized society.  TriLUG does
not have, and does not need, an anti-slavery policy, because we do not have
a membership which would tolerate enslaving other members.  That said, we
do have laws preventing slavery in our society, and in general we do not
have laws prohibiting being a jerk, so if we feel it necessary to clarify
the LUG's position, that's fine with me.  By baking it into the bylaws,
it's likely that we'll just look amusingly anachronistic if the LUG is
still around in 50 years.  I wonder what the state of Linux will be in 50
years?

2 - No, I don't commute by bike any more, mostly because I carry a 3 year
old with me part of the way.  I much prefer to separate him from the
terrors of my fellow motorists inside a very strong metal box with air
bags, preferably one that also Goes Like Stig[tm].

3 - https://www.google.com/search?q=why+bike+lanes+are+bad