[TriLUG] Palmer for another SC term; proposed amendment to the bylaws

Brandon Van Every bvanevery at gmail.com
Thu Apr 25 17:09:59 EDT 2013

On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 4:47 PM, <matt at noway2.thruhere.net> wrote:

>  The obvious difficulty in any policy of this sort is the
> dividing line between a hostile environment and the (incorrect in my
> opinion) "I have a right to not ever be offended" view.
>
> In the blog, there is the line, "they won’t sponsor events that don’t have
> and enforce a zero-tolerance policy on harassment."
>
> My question is does this policy fit the exacting standard above?  Is it
> sufficient or does it leave too much wiggle room?

There's nothing obvious about such a difficulty.  We can have all sorts of
laws and policies on the books, for real governmental stuff, and *still*
get in wars for bogus reasons, *still* destroy the environment even when
it's not supposed to be done, *still* blow up everybody at a fertilizer
factory due to industrial negligence and lack of oversight...

I'll believe there's a problem with overweening PC enforcement at TriLUG
when I actually see it.  Possession is 9/10ths of the law.

I realize that many computer programmers, as a species, don't like to be
painted into corners ("Perceiver" in the MBTI) and will argue over details
to death, because that's their stock in trade.  I encourage others to
short-circuit that, have a vote, and implement a policy that's mostly sane.
 Any potential insanity to receive lazy evaluation.  ;-)

Cheers,
Brandon