[TriLUG] Palmer for another SC term; proposed amendment to the bylaws

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Fri Apr 26 12:01:21 EDT 2013

On Fri, 26 Apr 2013 10:48:24 -0400
"Peter Neilson" <neilson at windstream.net> wrote:

> "It's free speech. Anyone should be able to say anything. The
> consequences belong to the individual

This sounds wonderful in one's living room, perhaps reading a book on
Libertarianism.

But in the practical world, inhabited by many certified nuts, it loses
its footing. One loudmouth headcase can kill a LUG or cause a LUG to
fork if not nipped in the bud. I've seen it happen.

Depending on just how disgusting this free speech becomes, it can have
much worse results than LUGbusting. I don't know about North Carolina,
but Florida is a "Stand Your Ground" state where people get shot over
arguments that start with "free speech".

I think a fairly innocuous set of policies go a long way toward letting
the nutcases to go elsewhere to practice their brand of free speech, so
that TriLUG can continue to focus on Linux.

SteveT