[TriLUG] Palmer for another SC term; proposed amendment to the bylaws

Chris Merrill chris at webperformance.com
Fri Apr 26 16:29:06 EDT 2013

On 4/26/2013 2:44 PM, Alan Porter wrote:
> Story time...  One long-time LUG member told me that he had quit coming
> to LUG meetings about 8-9 years ago because there used to be a
> sopho-moronic* atmosphere that included loud heckling and lots of inside
> jokes.  He later attended one meeting and noticed that the group had
> matured a bit, and now he's back regularly.  Having a written policy
> that basically says we welcome civilized people is a way to show that we
> have matured as a group.

FWIW, I attended a TriLUG meeting many years ago. I came away with the same
impression and never came back.  People threw out comments and jokes so
much I felt like the speaker could not get through the material and it
was hard to follow when he could. By comparison with TriJUG meetings,
it seemed poorly run and childish. I gather that has changed somewhat
(a lot?), but that was my impression at the time.  I don't recall if any
of the jokes were sexist...I probably wouldn't have noticed because I
was so annoyed with the entire atmosphere.

As a datapoint, there were a lot more women at the well-run TriJUG meetings.
I don't know if they have a policy, but it _was_ a more "welcoming" group.

chris at webperformance.com                |  http://webperformance.com
919-433-1762                            |  919-845-7601

Web Performance: Website Load Testing Software & Services