[TriLUG] Palmer for another SC term; proposed amendment to the bylaws

Roy Vestal rvestal at trilug.org
Fri Apr 26 16:13:49 EDT 2013

Cristobal, I apologize for the misspelling of your name. To quote a
colleague of mine, "I math well. I don't English good, but I math well". ;)

---------

I didn't use scary quotes. I was just quoting your words. But as I read
the conversation and the proposed , you are proposing a harassment
policy to fix gender imbalance. They are different things. Harassment is
harassment, regardless of gender. Gender imbalance is just that, more of
either men or women in a group.

My point here is a harassment policy won't fix a gender imbalance. The
only way to fix a gender imbalance is get more of the gender that
missing involved. In this case, more women involved with TriLUG. They
have to want to come to the meetings. Now your point of harassment, yes,
we, as men, have to make it a place that a woman would feel welcomed.
Obviously we both agree that harassment would curtail this, but I don't
believe that is why most women don't come to TriLUG. My wife, as an
example, is a unix person. But she has no desire to go to a meeting to
talk about unix. Why? Because she just doesn't want to, that's it. I
believe that is more of why there are more men than women at a TriLUG
meeting.

---------

You did misquote me a little which does change the context of my
statement. I said "In MY 23+ years of experience in the IT field, I find
there just aren't as many women interested in this field as the men."
The central point being my experience. I've seen the numbers trend
upward, and I think that's fantastic. Maybe we move in different circles.

---------

"In fact, women express frustration that they don't feel comfortable
pursuing their tech interests because of sexism and misogyny they
experience. This claim boils down to saying that it's not our fault, and
there clearly are components to the gender imbalance that are our
(collective) fault."

This is a tired argument. If it was only the IT field, then I'd feel
differently, but you can say this about ALL industries where men are
more prevalent than women. The problem won't be solved by a policy, but
when the men step up and tell the jerks "Stop it. Not going to happen
when I'm around". I done this many times, and as a dad of 2 girls, I'm
even more protective now than I was 10 to 15 years ago.

---------

"Who are these people that will leave TriLUG? Are they individuals or a
class of people? If a class, what about the existing document is
alienating to that class? I think you need to give us some evidence to
back up this claim"

Well, me for one. I won't leave per-say, but I will move away even more
away from the group. One of the things that I found enjoyable when I
could get to a meeting was to chew the fat with some of the guys I know
and poke fun, both at them and vice versa, not in any harassing way mind
you, but in a goofy "guy" way. This policy, in my opinion, would cause
folks like me to think twice about coming because we might offend
someone by picking on our friends. Maybe I'm the only one.

---------

As for the other things, I listed my experience with other volunteer
organizations, some of which when this type of policy was enacted,
changed the way the organization worked and made it feel tense, where
people didn't feel they could be themselves. Eventually, this led to the
demise of some of these organizations.

I've never had that feeling with TriLUG and I don't want to take the
chance. If something like this might cause that feeling of freedom and
liberty to be removed from even one membe then I don't think it's a good
idea. I don't believe in this organization I'm the only person that has
this opinion.

The main, overarching point I was making, not at Cristobal because he
truly gets it, but to all the other men in TriLUG: Stand up and say
"Stop it you jerk! That's not going to happen while you're around me and
my friends!" (referring to harassment of course). It shouldn't take a
policy to get you to stand up for the rest of us.

-Roy