[TriLUG] Do Linux User groups still serve a useful purpose?

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Sat Apr 27 13:23:59 EDT 2013

On Sat, 27 Apr 2013 12:11:12 -0400
Jeremy Davis <jeremydavis at jeremydavis.biz> wrote:

> Tim
>
>  "Maybe blow "common core" out of
> > the water with a real, organized, and in depth curriculum for
> > compsci and compengr based on Linux."
>
> This would be an awesome thing to bring into existence and it seems
> like all the resources could potentially be lined up for it as well.
> Integration with open badges and open course-ware could be used.
> Perhaps some grant and sponsor money for hack-a-thons and content
> sprints would fairly easy to come by. It could strengthen LUGs
> affiliation with the education system as well.
>
> Jeremy

Tim and Jeremy,

Is it my imagination, or does Linux do a much better job of exposing
the underlying technology than other operating systems? I never
understood networking til I got Linux. Am I hearing you correctly that
you're thinking of setting up a small lab of Linux computers, something
like a 2010's version of this:

http://www.troubleshooters.com/tpromag/199904/199904.htm#PowertothePeople

That would be outstanding. But even if TriLUG can't swing the lab,
perhaps TriLUG could issue "Kits" consisting of web pages, and some
sort of test at the end. For instance, if it were me (and your mileage
may vary), I'd start by issuing a kit for an OpenBSD/pf firewall kit,
where the person gets the computer, gets an extra NIC, installs the
software, and proves it does what it's supposed to. Once the firewall
is complete, we could actually do the "lab" over the Internet. We could
have an Ubuntu kit for glossy desktop types, or a FreeBSD desktop for
those who prefer Vim or Emacs as their only configuration tool.

We could have them pinhole their firewall for a specific port when they
build their first Internet server, but first they'd have to build it on
their lan and make sure it's secure, and we could give them a bunch of
tests to use on it. Needless to say, they'd need to absolve us of all
responsibility.

If you guys do this, I'll spread the word on Troubleshooters.Com.

SteveT