[TriLUG] Palmer for another SC term; proposed amendment to the bylaws

Kevin Hunter Kesling hunteke at earlham.edu
Sat Apr 27 13:28:30 EDT 2013

Hello TriLUG,

My wife, Elizabeth, was intrigued by the conversation that Cristóbal
started with this thread, and felt compelled to respond.  This response
is not necessarily to Cristóbal's original message, but to the entire
thread and linked background information (thank you for those,
Cristóbal!).  Below is her response, since she is not subscribed to the
TriLUG mailing list.

Kevin

At 1:22pm -0400 Wed, 24 Apr 2013, Cristóbal Palmer wrote:
> I hope you'll read the blog post below and engage with the group to
> make our bylaws better. Come May, you'll have a chance to vote on
> both my candidacy for the SC and the amendment. Please see my blog
> post introducing this topic here (warning -- long and potentially
> difficult):
>
> http://pebkac.homelinux.net/2013/04/24/an-anti-harassment-policy-for-trilug

To TriLUG,

First, let me start off by saying I am not writing on behalf of all
women.  I am only one woman among many, but having attended a few TriLUG
meetings with my partner, Kevin, I felt that I should contribute, as a
woman, to the discussion on the anti-harassment policy and the problem
of gender in TriLUG on the whole.  I'm not speaking for all women, but I
do make some general comments about women.  They're based on my
experience as a woman in education and teaching women.  Like all
generalities, they are used in the spirit of my argument -- please do
not interpret these generalities as hard-and-fast rules.

While I am appreciative of the effort and philosophy behind writing and
putting into place an anti-harassment policy, I share many of the same
views as some of the other members who have contributed to this thread.
  Namely, that an anti-harassment policy makes an environment more
inclusive, but it does not in and of itself bring more women to TriLUG.
  I have been to 5 or 6 TriLUG meetings (without an anti-harassment
policy in place), but I went largely to increase the number of women
present and to spend time with my partner.  Of those 5-6 meetings, only
1 meeting was of significant interest (Greg's OLPC talk).  It was of
interest because 1) it connected to my larger field of education, and 2)
it connected open source tools and technology to real-world scenarios.
As a woman, I am well aware of what I am getting into when I step foot
in the door of TriLUG.  I recognize I will be a minority in many
respects, and because I am often under-represented in many other aspects
of my life, including my career, I have to weigh out just how much
mental energy I have to devote to being a minority in yet another
setting.  The bottom line is, if you want more women involved, you have
to make the content and presentation of the TriLUG meetings more
appealing.  Sure it's great to know once I'm in the door that I won't
have to worry about being harassed, but the removal of potential
harassment doesn't make the meetings any more interesting or appealing
to me.  I am not more likely to attend what I consider to be a boring
meeting just because there is an anti-harassment policy in place.

As an educator, I am keenly aware of the groups of individuals that are
not reached by traditional education in this country.  And in this
respect, women and autodidacts (of which self-proclaimed geeks make up a
large part) are two groups (not to exclude the female autodidacts) who
are not typically well-served in the public school system.  In the last
ten years, with an increased focus on standards and one-time performance
based measures, we have seen an ever-increasing gap in the number of
women who stay with STEAM [1] subjects, as well as the number of
autodidacts who stay engaged within the traditional school system.  We
know a lot of things about how women, autodidacts, and female
autodidacts (let's call this sub-group WAFAs) process information
differently from other groups of individuals: they typically are master
synthesizers -- folks who can take a large amount of information and
rapidly piece together connections between prior knowledge and new
content/problems.  Because of this ability to synthesize, WAFAs also
prefer a variety of ways to learn new information, and favor
visual-kinesthetic approaches in particular, as these typically allow
greater flexibility in risk-taking.  Many of these WAFAs are also master
storytellers: they can take newly acquired content and weave it into an
existing narrative.  A clear tech-related example of this idea of
synthesis and narrative-making are open source tools.  The idea of being
able to view and manipulate the source code of a webpage, for example,
allows individuals to make connections visually between the "finished"
version of a webpage and its code, and then to physically manipulate the
code to achieve a variety of visual results.  What's more, often open
source tools offer web-based communities, in which developing skills can
be proofed by a group.  Community-based feedback is an incredible tool
for intellectual risk-taking: when you know you have the support, even
if it's critical, of a larger group, you are more likely to continue
taking the risk of sharing what you've learned.  And we know that the
first step to learning something is to be able to take the risk to share
it with others (and even better if you can then share your "proofed"
code and teach it to others!).

Yet in all this beautiful critical thinking and risk-taking, there is
little opportunity for WAFAs to demonstrate their intellectual ability
in the traditional school system.  How can you involve the community in
intellectual risk-taking when your performance is measured by a single
test on a single day? What if the connections you are trying to make
between X and Y don't fit within the 9-week quarter? What if your
performance in STEAM subjects was dependent on your ability to verbally
participate in a large lecture-style class, to memorize unrelated series
of facts, and to spit them back out on a single final exam? As an
educator, the beauty of open source tools is that they allow more unique
thinkers and minds to get hooked into learning in a community rather
than assuming that because they don't fit the "standard," they must head
out solo.

What opportunities does TriLUG offer to those individuals who want to
engage in community-supported intellectual risk-taking? In my
experience, many of the TriLUG meetings are a traditional lecture-style
format, with very little opportunity for participants to try out what's
being presented or to contribute in meaningful ways.  It is not just
women who are not being reached; there are other diverse members within
the community who are also not being reached.  My point is this: vary
the format of delivery and vary the types of individuals presenting, and
you'll not just attract more women to TriLUG, but will hook in a wider
variety of individuals.  Why should open source tools be presented in
the "standard" format when most folks drawn to the open source community
don't fit most standards?

And now to close with the gender piece.  I wrote here today as a woman,
because I think it's important that women speak for themselves.  I also
wanted to broaden the scope of the conversation and suggest that geeks
and women (geek or otherwise) have a lot more in common than one might
think.  I think the larger issue here is that the TriLUG community wants
to benefit from a diversity of voices, but is unsure how to go about
increasing that diversity.  And, not wanting to speak for women, it is
also having a hard time getting more women's voices in the conversation.
  As a woman, then, let me say that I recognize that improving gender
equality is not solely up to men.

I also do not want to merely iterate that there is a problem with gender
in TriLUG and not offer specific suggestions as to how we can begin to
address it.  I am not an expert on women's issues, and I am by no means
an expert on the tech world.  I do, however, have some experience in
connecting open source tools with education.  And since education is
often a microcosm of the larger socio-political reality, being
intentional about how we include young children is a great way to
reimagine how gender and tech might intersect.

To that end, let me offer my own set of skills for the benefit of the
TriLUG community: as an educator, I would be thrilled to help develop a
more meaningful way to involve the younger members (i.e. children) of
the TriLUG community.  By creating multi-age, open-ended problem and
play-based opportunities for our youngest, we are helping to accomplish
two goals: 1) not reproducing the traditional educational system that
teaches children that a) a problem only has one answer, b) that adults
do adult things, and children do child things, and c) that only
"standard" minds can participate in an intellectual community, and 2)
helping more women and men, particularly single parents, to be able to
attend TriLUG.  For me, supporting a developmentally-appropriate "Mini
LUG" would be a great way to get me hooked into TriLUG and feel a sense
of purpose in connecting my developing understanding of open source
tools with my prior knowledge in educating young children.

I am only one woman.  But like many women, and people in general, I
enjoy contributing to a community where my skills are nurtured and
valued.  Perhaps with this example, others might find ways for their
particular skills to be nurtured and valued in the TriLUG community.

Sincerely,

Elizabeth

[1] There is a growing movement to add to STEM (science, technology,
     engineering, math) the A, or art component.  See, for example:

http://news.investors.com/technology/042213-652817-add-art-and-design-to-educational-needs.htm

     Or Adam Savage's (of Mythbusters) Maker Faire 2012 talk (watch for
     about a minute):

     http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_otrgJ8Lmx4#t=975s