[TriLUG] Do Linux User groups still serve a useful purpose?

Brandon Van Every bvanevery at gmail.com
Sat Apr 27 16:07:25 EDT 2013

On Sat, Apr 27, 2013 at 1:23 PM, Steve Litt <slitt at troubleshooters.com>wrote:

> Is it my imagination, or does Linux do a much better job of exposing
> the underlying technology than other operating systems?

To a fault.  :-(  Everything is some horrible shell script somewhere.

 For instance, if it were me (and your mileage
> may vary), I'd start by issuing a kit for an OpenBSD/pf firewall kit,
> where the person gets the computer, gets an extra NIC, installs the
> software, and proves it does what it's supposed to.

Wow there are people out there who aren't tired of this sort of drill yet?
 I envy the young and inexperienced.  I keep trying to avoid all the things
in Linux that are like a "kit" rather than a solution.  Feels like all of
last year was dealing with "kits," although a fair chunk of it was OpenGL's
fault as well.

But by all means, have your fun.  Who am I to argue.  I'm just on the End
User Experience end of technical considerations.

Cheers,
Brandon