[TriLUG] Fwd: Sign this Petition - Explain why taxpayers pay out billions to Microsoft and get nothing in return, while Linux is free!

Jeremy Davis jeremydavis at jeremydavis.biz
Sat Apr 27 17:06:01 EDT 2013

>You shouldn't be preferring that if you have to pay a lot of guys like me
>$100/hr to reach solutions in open source, when proprietary solutions are
>already available off the shelf.

So I have always heard and read that open source solutions come with a
price, hiring engineers etc.. Sure it would cost more in the
beginning, however, wouldn't it pay off in the long run? Or is it more
of a complicated "it depends" kind of thing. I am only asking because
I don't know.

For example, lets say instead of using M$ desktop, the government
decides to use a Linux desktop environment such as Mint, with Libre
Office, Firefox or Chrome browser, GIMP, Thunderbird, and whatever
else for the purpose of doing basic clerical administrative work. How
much more could it possibly cost? How long before most of the bugs are
worked out. The best benefit of all may be better support for
development of standards. Instead of using Sharepoint, I think Drupal,
Wordpress, wikis and mailing lists would get the job done better right
off the shelf.