[TriLUG] DHCP and Road Runner

Sean Alexandre sean at alexan.org
Sun Apr 28 14:31:39 EDT 2013

On Sun, Apr 28, 2013 at 02:02:19PM -0400, Steve Litt wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Apr 2013 11:14:04 -0400
> Sean Alexandre <sean at alexan.org> wrote:
> > Also, I've disabled iptables,
>
> Don't do that!
>
> How long were you on the net without protection? It's possible your
> machine is now compromised.

I agree, and normally don't. iptables is back up again.

The only thing I had listening on the WAN interface then was sshd and dhcpd. sshd
is configured for public key authentication only. I suppose if there was a dhcpd 0day,
the machine could have been compromised. But, it's a fully patched Debian Wheezy
machine. If it were protecting something important I'd probably rebuild it, now
that I've learned how to configure Debian as a router.