[TriLUG] Windows Managers Survey

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Mon Apr 29 20:59:28 EDT 2013

On Mon, 29 Apr 2013 20:08:32 -0400
Pete Soper <pete at soper.us> wrote:

> My counter argument:
>
>     http://xkcd.com/1205
>
> -Pete

LOL, I have no idea how the preceding is a counter argument to what
went before (so I deleted the prior material), but that chart is very,
very handy, and is a very good justification for my various
shellscripts and programs. I'm sending that link to several other lists.

In addition, I think that chart can be amplified to some degree.

1) (carbon based) MEMORY: I know lots of people who can do something,
   and then two years later need to do it again and quickly remember
   exactly how to do it. I'm not one of those people. Therefore, in my
   case the monthly and yearly entries justify considerably more time
   spent on the speedup, always assuming the speedup makes it dead bang
   easy to remember.
2) Time value of time: The time you save today or this week is much
   more valuable than the time you save a year or two from now. That
   super-duper script you make to ease a task you'll do next year will
   doubtlessly be forgotten, deleted, or obsoleted by new versions of
   the software it calls.

Notice that #1 and #2 above contradict each other :-)

Therefore, if it's something I'll be using daily or weekly, I'll make
it a shellscript or a UMENU entry. If it's something I'll use again in
several months, I'll document it.

Thanks,

SteveT