[TriLUG] OT: on SNR and efficiency (was: RE: Windows Managers Survey)

Brian Henning bhenning at pineinst.com
Tue Apr 30 09:09:40 EDT 2013

I think that's why a general tenet in software development is something like
this:

"When's the right time to optimize for performance?"
"Not yet."

Unless of course you're trying to mix 24 channels of 24-bit 48kHz audio in
real-time on a slightly-overclocked PIC32 microcontroller[1].  THEN it might
be time.

Anyway, if I might philosophize: Sometimes this list has brilliant threads
rich with the wisdom of the ages.  Other times it has big bursts of noise.
Sometimes I get hopping mad over the things said on this list (rarely, but
it happens), and other times I get a good guffaw.  Almost all of the time, I
learn something.

Personally, I think that's exactly how it should be.

Cheers,
~Brian

[1] My current hobby project at home.  Sad to say the only Linux tie-in
there is I'm using the Linux version of the Microchip toolchain.