[TriLUG] The biggest deterrent for women in tech

Danielle Danielle at whitrel.com
Tue Apr 30 17:14:27 EDT 2013

On 2013-04-30 16:56, Brandon Van Every wrote:

> I have wondered if women, as a group, have a tendency to be less
> tough,
> pushy, or a blowhard when negotiating or otherwise securing their own
> interests.  That so many have been culturally conditioned to be
> "nice,"
> even though the American business world clearly doesn't value that.

The way the way individuals (the collective effect of whom are what
we're actually discussing when saying, "the American business world")
values behaviors varies by the gender of the person exhibiting the
behavior. Men are "assertive" while women are "bullies." I recall
reading a study recently, perhaps late last year, that women who
negotiate for salary in an assertive manner like is being valued among
men are both less successful in the endeavor and suffer further
consequences by way of having their negotiation actions viewed more
negatively, which goes on to color the views of their performance.

A few years ago saw the rise of classes nicknamed "bully broad" for the
high number of women whose employers wanted them to tone it down.

Danielle