[TriLUG] The biggest deterrent for women in tech

William Sutton william at trilug.org
Wed May 1 06:05:15 EDT 2013

>From what I saw at my computer science program from 1996-2000 at Auburn,
the CS/CPE department guidance counsellor was an idiot who did not
understand the curriculum tracks and did not pay attention to what majors
her students were in WRT the curriculum tracks.  I paid attention to mine
and got sorted out OK, but we had numerous classmates (usually, sad to
say, female) who had been misadvised by said guidance counsellor, and who
had to be straightened out by the rest of us (male and female) as to what
courses were required by what majors.

>From what my wife tells me, her HS guidance counsellor was similarly ill
informed/unattentive to the classes required for graduation, and only told
her mid-way through her senior year that she was supposed to have been
enrolled in Algebra rather than whatever math class she was in at the
time.

I think the takeaways are:
1. Don't rely on the school guidance counsellor to know what you need; do
your own research and be informed and active about your own path.
2. School guidance counsellors (often female, in my experience) aren't
actively sabotaging other women...they just do a lousy job, regardless of
student gender.
3. Parental involvement (or some sort of surrogate) needs to happen early
and often, and its importance cannot be overestimated (this is true of
other subjects than education, as well).

Regarding your other remarks about patronizing male management...I hate to
say it but
1. The males that seem to make it in management seem to come from the
alpha male, frat boy culture.  Unfortunately, that seems to be the same
group that thinks that if you don't have a penis, you don't have any
worth.  :-(
2. Even more sadly, they probably honestly believed that they were taking
a helpful paternal interest in your future...which seems pretty
condescending considering they weren't actually your father and clearly
didn't have your best interests at heart.

William Sutton