[TriLUG] The biggest deterrent for women in tech

John Vaughters jvaughters04 at yahoo.com
Wed May 1 09:30:04 EDT 2013

>This did not die in the 90s!!

Linda,

First of all, thank you for adding the women's perspective, I kept hoping a women would chime in. I was feeling guilty for having an all male discussion about why women were choosing the way they do.

Just a slight clarification on the 90's comment. My statement was that since 90's graduates started entering management, which would be about the 2005-2010, so fairly recent. My point is that the bias is changing fairly rapidly to accepting women, but the women are not coming as fast.

I agree with you it has alot to do with support from both genders, but the role models of women are important to break down the false barrier that it is too difficult for women. BTW news this morning that Marrisa Mayer of Yahoo was paid $36.6 Million for her first 6 months on the job, and she had a baby too. Now that is a role model.

Thanks again for setting us Gorrillas straight `,~>

John Vaughters