[TriLUG] The biggest deterrent for women in tech

Brandon Van Every bvanevery at gmail.com
Wed May 1 11:05:19 EDT 2013

On Wed, May 1, 2013 at 7:08 AM, Peter Neilson <neilson at windstream.net>wrote:

> In my own experience, kids know they are interested in science and
> technology by about age eight. Boys want stuff that explodes or stinks.
> Girls are expected to avoid all that unless it's horses. I think some girls
> get into science and technology through horsemanship.

Actually I knew I wanted Christmas presents that ran on electricity.  I had
a chemistry set as a kid, but I think that's the passion of a previous
generation.  I tortured snails with it.  It wasn't useful for much else so
I never learned explosions or substance abuse, which is just as well.

I'm not sure if I wanted to be an astronaut, but I was definitely big into
planets and space exploration.  Star Wars was right up my alley. I also
liked dinosaurs.  I think most kids like those, but I think in my case it
may have presaged an interest in science as seen through the lens of
history.

I would think that human observation might lead more girls into science.
 But who views or teaches science that way?  Didn't even know anthropology
existed until college.

Cheers,
Brandon