[TriLUG] Discrimination <- Re: The biggest deterrent for women in tech

John Vaughters jvaughters04 at yahoo.com
Wed May 1 14:54:30 EDT 2013

<Three cheers for discrimination.

Ryan,

I completely agree with everything you stated. America is about results and reward. Generally the more result you give and if you market that properly, the more you will get paid.

I even think that the belief that women get paid less just becasue they are women has now been around long enough to work to their advantage and this can actually allow them to market themselves to make more than men, just becasue of the legal fears that HR Depts. respond to. This is a unique advantage that plays even more in their favor for Technical Degrees where HR Dept. are trying to make their numbers look good to protect against legal matters.

The question is will it matter for Women when they choose their degrees and even more important when they choose their actual career. Like I said, my sister with her Industrial Engineering Degree teaches math at a High School. She chose a child friendly profession after working in a factory and hating it.

John Vaughters