[TriLUG] The biggest deterrent for women in tech

Brandon Van Every bvanevery at gmail.com
Wed May 1 18:59:41 EDT 2013

On Wed, May 1, 2013 at 6:36 PM, John Vaughters <jvaughters04 at yahoo.com>wrote:

> What does a history book have to do with my life experience? Nothing!

Really?  Seems short sighted.

> I will resort back to my experience on Indian women with 40% ratio in a
> tech resource team.

Pardon my ignorance but what is a "tech resource team" ?  Are these
programmers?

> Some of the top technical resources were female. They dressed in
> traditional Indian garb. They were allowed to be women in the traditional
> sense by Indian standards, so I reject the idea female oppression is the
> reason for the differences in our thinking, and I respect the idea that the
> differences are embraced as a strength as it appeared to me in this setting.
>
> The only question I have is this not occurring in America at similar rates.

I'm a 3d graphics guy.  I've also spent a fair amount of time with build
systems, since it's such a chore getting so many open source projects to
build.  Also some programming language communities.  My experience of women
in open source in these areas is zero.  ZE-RO.  That I can remember.  If
there were any women at all, they do not stick out in my mind as having
made any important or meaningful contribution to any aspects of the
projects I've been involved in.  Not even documentation.

Is this because my interests have been "hardcore technical?"  Is it because
I've pursued some backwaters or niches of software development, rather than
say "the web" which I really have no interest or patience for?

Ok I think there was a gal on the Nebula2 3d engine project.  But the dev
lead was overbearing, I didn't get along with him, and I wasn't around that
community very long.

Cheers,
Brandon