[TriLUG] The biggest deterrent for women in tech

Danielle Danielle at whitrel.com
Wed May 1 21:36:59 EDT 2013

On 2013-05-01 20:30, Brian McCullough wrote:

> What in the heck does the fact that she is a CEO and had a baby got
> do with anything?  I am sure that several male CEOs have fathered
> children while they were performing their jobs.

The only thing I can say in its defense is that at least it's not the
usual "she's neglecting her children!" claim.

Generally, though, in my experience, when it has been said of men, it's
to justify a particular treatment in their favor. At a previous job,
that a male coworker had children and I didn't was viewed by our manager
as a reason to demand I work longer hours for no more benefit (and,
ultimately, for less benefit - I was paid substantially less than that
coworker.)

Regards,
Danielle