[TriLUG] The biggest deterrent for women in tech

Brandon Van Every bvanevery at gmail.com
Thu May 2 01:53:48 EDT 2013

On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 1:35 AM, Steve Litt <slitt at troubleshooters.com>wrote:

> It's possible that employers believe women are less likely to job jump.
> If so, women should prove them wrong. As a matter of fact, anybody
> should. In my opinion, the age of employer loyalty to their employees
> died in the early 1970's. Why employees should feel a need to be loyal
> to their employers is a mystery to me.

Yeah job hopping was standard drill in the dot.com boom.  I'm amazed that
anyone has any other perspective on how a career is supposed to work, but I
guess a couple of recessions might have made a couple of new generations of
programmers rather timid.  I'm glad I came into industry at a time that
told me I am important and that I can do and demand anything I want to.
 Even if that's not realistic at all points in economic history, it's true
over the general span of a career.  I can't identify with any gloom and
doom about people's potential in tech at all.  People do have to be
self-empowered and self-managing to make tech work for them though.  You do
not get ahead by sitting on the bottom of someone else's food chain, I
learned that pretty early on.

Cheers,
Brandon