[TriLUG] The biggest deterrent for women in tech

William Sutton william at trilug.org
Thu May 2 11:22:20 EDT 2013

Ugh... SQL Server advocates raise my hackles, particularly because they
invariably refer to it as "SQL", as in, "In SQL you do this" and "in SQL
you do that."  It makes me want to grab them by the collar, shake them
hard, and yell, "no you idiot, in SQL *Server* you do that.  In *SQL* you
do selects, updates, inserts, and deletes, and anyone who confuses the two
has no right to be in technology."

And then there's the whole "Oracle's PL/SQL can do

begin
   for rec in (
     select * from foo
   )
   loop
     -- do something
   end loop;
end;

construct, but SQL Server's T-SQL can't unless you write about 40 extra
lines of T-SQL" that gets me annoyed.

I *hate* and *despise* SQL Server...although I'm getting plenty of
experience with it (and the more I use it, the more I loathe it).

</rant>

William Sutton