[TriLUG] MySQL Runaway

Brian McCullough bdmc at bdmcc-us.com
Wed May 8 09:46:26 EDT 2013

Thank you all for the suggestions.  I am working on them now. ( setting
up logging, etc )

On Wed, May 08, 2013 at 09:26:07AM -0400, Jamie Kahgee wrote:
> Have you ever used innotop<http://innotop.googlecode.com/svn/html/manual.html>?
>  can be used to extract a lot of info.

Never heard of it, thanks.

> What kind of tables are we talking about here (myISAM / InnoDB)?

Not sure yet.  Up until recently, I didn't even have a password that
worked.

> Do you
> have large/small buffer pools? do you have a large/small query cache?  can
> you see/log what your process-list (SHOW PROCESSLIST) is while your CPU
> usage is high?

As I said, I replaced the my.cnf with the one called "huge," so I think
that the answer is that things are "bigger" than they were.

> to speak on what everyone else is saying: the higher the utilization, the
> higher the chances of queueing

I understand that.  That's why the first thing that I did was to upgrade
the configuration, which did seem to have some benefit.  However, there
are still these storms, where the system becomes unresponsive ( at least
for the web users ).

System load can go over 250 during these events, and they can last for
over an hour.

Brian