[TriLUG] MySQL Runaway

John Vaughters jvaughters04 at yahoo.com
Wed May 8 10:04:24 EDT 2013

After all the tuning and purging is done, if you are still having issues. Consider these ideas.

* If data is mainly read only - consider indexing tables but be cautious if there is alot of writing to the database, it may make it worse.
* You may need to question if the App is playing nice with the database. Are the queries in the App being responsible?  Many times an App is created, but the long term performance was not in the Developers mind and they just got it to work with poor query consideration. Does the App limit queries with pages for example, instead of give you everything in one shot.
* Has anyone created automation that is slamming your database and creating an unintentional denial of service?
* Last resort - Get a bigger box

Good Luck,

John Vaughters