[TriLUG] Late night IPv6

Bill Farrow bill at arrowsreach.com
Fri May 10 10:42:36 EDT 2013

What better time to install IPv6 than late at night at bar having a
drink after a TriLUG meeting.  A big thanks to Kevin Otte for guiding
me through this process, and thanks to Hurricane Electric [1] for
their IPv6 tunnel broker service.

All we needed was a laptop, free wifi thanks to Ba Da Wings, ssh
tunnel back into home, ssh to the router, install some OpenWRT [2]
packages (including kernel modules), and then reconfigure the router's
networking without dropping the remote ssh connections. Sweet !

ssh -L 8888:router:80 desktop.example.com
ssh router
opkg update
opkg install 6in4 luci-proto-6x4 luci-app-radvd
# configure router via ssh tunneled webpage on port 8888

So now my home desktop *automagically* has an IPv6 address and can do
IPv6 networking.  Can't wait to see if YouTube works better over IPv6
than via TWC IPv4.

ping6 www.google.com
  PING www.google.com(gg-in-x93.1e100.net) 56 data bytes
  64 bytes from gg-in-x93.1e100.net: icmp_seq=1 ttl=56 time=36.8 ms
  64 bytes from gg-in-x93.1e100.net: icmp_seq=2 ttl=56 time=35.8 ms

Bill

[1] http://tunnelbroker.com/
[2] http://openwrt.org