[TriLUG] Video Conferencing Software

Cristóbal Palmer cmp at cmpalmer.org
Wed May 22 23:07:10 EDT 2013

On Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 10:12 PM, Tarus Balog wrote:
> Any open source alternatives?

Are you really committed to your solution being a Web-based UI? What I think you want is an XMPP server and a set of vetted-by-you clients that support Jingle[0] and play nice with each other. My understanding is that any XMPP server that meets your (non-video) needs will do fine, as the video support is all on the client end. This is based on cursory reading not experimentation/testing, so take with appropriate doses of salt. My XMPP server experience is with Openfire and my XMPP client experiences have been with Pidgin and Adium in the last few years. I haven't done video with any of the foregoing, but possibly others on this list have and can speak to that. I see that the company behind Openfire has a web client, but I also see that it looks rather stale and doesn't do Jingle. None of the implementations[1] I've found easily are Web-based, but you've already found something and I see this demo that I wouldn't put any credentials in: https://symlynx.com/jingle.html. More poking around turns up other hilariously outdated/abandoned stuff like this: http://wiki.xmpp.org/web/index.php?title=Java_Jingle&oldid=7398

I hope others have good answers, because I was curious enough to spend awhile digging and came up short. Is this worth a hack day?

Cheers,
--
Cristóbal Palmer
cmpalmer.org

[0] Interestingly Google, who are now killing off XMPP support as they push people into Hangouts, are the ones who created Jingle and published libjingle under a BSD license. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jingle_(protocol) for more.
[1] Eg. http://xmpp.org/about-xmpp/technology-overview/jingle/#impl-client