[TriLUG] Video Conferencing Software

Tarus Balog tarus at opennms.org
Thu May 23 16:25:04 EDT 2013

On 05/22/2013 11:07 PM, Cristóbal Palmer wrote:
> Are you really committed to your solution being a Web-based UI?

Nope. But I've never been able to get video conferencing to work over
XMPP. We have an Openfire server, and I use Pidgin on Ubuntu but it
doesn't seem to work to other folks on Linux nor OS X.

Plus, we have the need for group video. We've used Skype and G+ in the
past. G+ is pretty cool, but we need more than ten. The suggestion has
been made to use Asterisk 11 and XMPP, but it will take me awhile to get
that set up. My guy says "all the bits are there to build something
remarkably like hangouts, using asterisk 11, websockets, one of the
javascript SIP libraries, and modern browsers"

We've moved to SOGo for calendars and contacts, and I set up a Firefox
Sync server to handle bookmarks and web passwords. Now I just need to
break with Google for video chats.

-T

--
Tarus BALOG, Maintainer                     Main:   +1 919 533 0160
The OpenNMS Group, Inc.                     Fax:    +1 773 345 3645