[TriLUG] TimeWarner vs ATT

Michael Rulison 13miketele at bellsouth.net
Thu May 23 17:19:53 EDT 2013

I've been reading comparisons of these two internet providers: It is a
bit of a toss up as to which devil is more objectionable.

That, however, is not much of a problem because ATT tells me they cannot
provide faster service on my street and do not know when they will do
so. Scratch U-verse.

Now, on to TWC: they WILL provide faster service for about $37/month
including taxes and no leased modem.
They have a table of 'compatible modems' which does not include any of
the DSL modems I currently possess. They will run coax from the fibre
optic in the street into my house.

Question: What are the probabilities that my modems will work with TWC
anyway? Or will I need to buy something totally new in the way of modems.

Do I have any other choices for providers? All I want is internet access
- no direct to TV, no phone, etc.. I now have my own domain hosted at
rtpnet.org and will be putting emails there and giving up emails not at ATT.

With thanks for comments and ideas.