[TriLUG] TimeWarner vs ATT

David Burton ncdave4life at gmail.com
Fri May 24 04:54:04 EDT 2013

On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 5:19 PM, Michael Rulison
<13miketele at bellsouth.net>wrote:

> I've been reading comparisons of these two internet providers: It is a bit
> of a toss up as to which devil is more objectionable.
>
> That, however, is not much of a problem because ATT tells me they cannot
> provide faster service on my street and do not know when they will do so.
> Scratch U-verse.
>
> Now, on to TWC: they WILL provide faster service for about $37/month
> including taxes and no leased modem.
> They have a table of 'compatible modems' which does not include any of the
> DSL modems I currently possess. They will run coax from the fibre optic in
> the street into my house.
>
> Question: What are the probabilities that my modems will work with TWC
> anyway? Or will I need to buy something totally new in the way of modems.

Probability=zero.

Cheapest solution: Get a Motorola SurfBoard cablemodem on eBay.

For "standard" or lower tier service, the cheapest "good" solution is a
Motorola SB5101 or SB5101U (DOCSIS 2.0) cablemodem on eBay for under $20,
shipped.

For "turbo" or higher tier service, or if you want to keep the option of
higher tier service while buying standard-or-lower service now, the
cheapest "good" solution is a Motorola SB6121 (DOCSIS 3.0) cablemodem on
eBay for $54, shipped.

I've read that the SB5101U lacks the "standby" button on top.  That seems
like an improvement, to me.

There are other models.  E.g., I have an SB5100 that works fine; just now
speedtest.net measured 22 ms ping time, 20.10 Mbps down, 0.98 Mbps up.  But
the word at DSLReports is that the SB5101 or SB5101U is the best one to get.

Similar model numbers have different chipsets, and the Broadcom chipsets
get more respect than the TI chipsets.  Quoting from comments at DSLReports:

The SB5100 uses the Broadcom chipset/processor BCM3348.
The SB5101 uses the Broadcom chipset/processor BCM3349.
The SB5120 uses the Texas Instrument chipset/processor TI4401.
The SB6121 uses a Broadcom chipset (BCM3380?)
The SB6141 uses a TI/Intel chipset.

TWC also has a lot of Ubee modems in the field.  The buzz is that they're
not as good as the Motorolas.

The SB51xx series Motorola Surfboards are DOCSIS 2.0 cablemodems.  DOCSIS
3.0 cablemodems are faster, but only if you buy a high-end service level.
 The SB6121 and SB6141 are DOCSIS 3.0 modems. TWC requires DOCSIS 3.0
modems for their "Turbo," "Extreme," and "Ultimate" service (download >15
mbps, upload >1 mbps):
http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/residential-home/support/topics/internet/buy-your-modem.html
http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/residential-home/internet/internet-service-plans.html

An SB6121 goes for about $54 on
eBay<http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorola-SURFboard-SB6121-DOCSIS-3-0-Cable-Modem-Tested-/271195827115?pt=PCC_Modems>.
 An SB6141 goes for about $60 on eBay.

The only 2 pitfalls I know of with buying a cablemodem on eBay are:

1. The obvious one, for all eBay purchases: only buy from someone with a
>99% positive feedback rating, and lots of feebacks.

2. Beware of modems which Time-Warner has in their database as being owned
by Time-Warner. They won't let you use one of those.

> Do I have any other choices for providers? All I want is internet access -
> no direct to TV, no phone, etc.. I now have my own domain hosted at
> rtpnet.org and will be putting emails there and giving up emails not at
> ATT.

There's also Clear, but if TWC or ATT has fibre in your neighborhood, then
you'll definitely get better, faster, more-reliable service with them.  Of
course, all three companies are extremely obnoxious to deal with, sorry.