[TriLUG] System overload issues

Ron Kelley rkelleyrtp at gmail.com
Fri May 24 09:51:40 EDT 2013

Hi Brian,

The rsync and gzip issues smell like bad drives (or, very high I/O).  I suggest to download the "nmon" binary for CentOS 5.6 (http://nmon.sourceforge.net/pmwiki.php?n=Site.Download and look for the NMON binaries for CentOS 5).  The direct URL is http://docs/MPG_nmon_for_Linux_14a_binaries.zip

Start nmon then type "ncd" to get network, CPU, and disk stats.  Let it run for a while and see exactly which areas are affected.  Depending on your terminal type, you might need to use this command:  "export TERM=xterm && /usr/bin/nmon" (or, specify the right location for the nmon binary.

Also, can you share a portion of the /var/log/messages file?  That should help uncover some potential items...

Thanks,

-Ron