[TriLUG] System overload issues

John Vaughters jvaughters04 at yahoo.com
Fri May 24 10:35:53 EDT 2013

Brian,

I highly recommend reading up on sysstat and sar command. This gives you quick system stats that will point you to many problems and when they occur. With that info you can narrow in on your other logs for further information. You can find out about CPU, MEM, SWAP, I/O waits (disk), NIC . Centos usually defaults to 7 days of stats, but yo can increase that if you like.

My favorite sar command to view yesterday's stats:

sar -f /var/log/sa/sa$(date +%d -d yesterday)

Just type 'sar' to view today's stats.

Good Luck.

John Vaughters