No subject

Sun Jun 2 12:36:39 EDT 2013

----- Forwarded message from Jay Sulzberger <jays at panix.com> -----

Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2001 14:51:30 -0400 (EDT)
From: Jay Sulzberger <jays at panix.com>
To: <netslaves at yahoogroups.com>
Cc: Jay Sulzberger <jays at panix.com>
Subject: [netslaves] Don Marti's Open Letter to Michael Eisner, Head of Disney

  edit-level="mark-up and side stuff only touched">

   Linux Journal Home  >  Articles  >  Conversations #34
   Friday, September 14, 2001 | Last Updated 03:31pm

       Open Letter to Michael Eisner, Chairman and CEO, Walt Disney Company

                          by Don Marti <dmarti at ssc.com>
                                14-September-2001

   Open letter to Michael Eisner, Chairman and CEO, Walt Disney Company.

   Dear Mr. Eisner,

   I hear you're planning a trip to Washington, DC next month to close the deal
   on a computer censorship bill, the SSSCA, you're buying from Congress. I'm
   writing to ask you to please stay home.

   I'm not asking because of concerns for your safety. All Americans are
   getting back to regular work and travel, and that's the right thing to do.
   But you and your bill should stay out of Washington, DC, and let our elected
   representatives do their jobs.

   Here's why.

   On the morning of September 11th, I was wondering about one thing. Nothing
   the mass media could spare the time to answer, though. My question was "What
   happened to Jim and Ari?" They work in a building facing the World Trade
   Center, and often use the subway station underneath.

   In mid-morning, an internet server still chugging along on lower Broadway
   passed along the answer. "I just talked to Ari. He and Jim are OK."

   That was it. A few words, passed along by a freely available mail program on
   an old Pentium system in the corner of an office. Words that ended up copied
   many times and passed along to internet places where Jim and Ari's friends
   gather. Low-budget Internet hosts you've never heard of, with names like
   zork.crackmonkey.org and barley.nylug.org, running software you've never
   heard of, with names like Postfix and GNU Mailman.

   This isn't the flashy Internet of IPOs and Herman Miller chairs. It's the
   Internet where a regular person with a couple books and a used computer can
   start up a meeting, an argument, a conversation about anything. No venture
   capitalists, no advertisers, no licenses, no chat room monitors--just
   independent know-how, Linux Documentation Project style.

   What did we learn from the low-profile Internet this week? Just little
   things. Some guy went to one hospital to give blood, they sent him to
   another, and everyone with type O blood please come, too. The A Train is
   running, making all stops except World Trade Center. Here's a complete bus
   schedule. A librarian in Indiana told the police she is keeping the library
   open, so that people can get on the Internet for news of their friends and
   family.

   The Ventures came out with a song called, "Be Strong America" and their
   webmaster put it up as an MP3 file for free distribution. Other people
   posted photos and movies of their trips by foot out of Manhattan or
   Washington. Forwarded copies made the proverbial rounds as if they were
   virus warnings or lawyer jokes.

   The song is corny, and the news is minor, but I know from the Jim and Ari
   message how much it could mean. On the evening of the 11th, President Bush
   said, "These acts shattered steel, but they cannot dent the steel of
   American resolve." Americans knew that because, as we watched TV, our
   inboxes became full of copies of copies of copies of individual stories of
   human steel.

   The stories weren't all good news. A sister's friend and her fiancee,
   missing. One of the members of someone's favorite band was working his day
   job at a sky-high restaurant. Another sister was a flight attendant. And
   nobody would say the Internet could help with that loss.

   It wasn't accurate or eloquent. Primitive reactions spewed out, ill-informed
   calls for revenge, racism, ignorance--the best I could say for some of the
   hateful garbage was, well, at least this guy is just typing, instead of
   breaking shop windows or worse.

   It's wasn't fun and it wasn't sanitary; there can be no happy ending to this
   story. But it was America.

   President Bush said, "The federal government and all our agencies are
   conducting business. But it is not business as usual." Mr. Eisner, please
   take that as a hint. It's a mistake for any American to shut down another's
   freedom to speak, whether the person being censored is editing an on-line
   newspaper or just making tweaks to the software that runs the "Crackmonkey"
   site.

   The SSSCA, which you are in the middle of buying from Congress, would outlaw
   the software that powers the independent Internet, the Internet that had
   many of us crying on our keyboards this week, from loss, relief or rage. At
   times like this, a slightly cracked monkey means more to us than a perfectly
   coiffed mouse.

   It would be shameful for you to show up at the US Capitol with a duffel bag
   full of "campaign contributions" at a time like this. Paying Congress to
   silence your fellow citizens, now, is not the act of a loyal American.

   The SSSCA is all the more dangerous because we're a big country. I would
   love to be able to say that even without the Internet, our independent radio
   stations, local newspapers and town meetings would get our communicating
   done. I would love to be able to say that many voices in all media brought
   us news, personal appeals, debate.

   But that's not what happened. Blame the price of paper, the limited radio
   spectrum or our spread-out geography, but the fact is that the only
   national, public voice most of us have is the Internet. Our national
   conversation runs on open standards and interoperable software. Allowing it
   to exist only at the pleasure of major media corporations and software
   giants would turn our democracy over to unaccountable private-sector rulers.

   I recognize that you just want more outlets for your movies, and the
   Internet might look like TV to you at first. But you have plenty of markets
   for your products--not just TV, but the multiplexes, the theme parks, the
   malls. Please let Americans keep our disorderly public places, too. The
   Internet is annoying, flaming and rumor-mongering, but for many of us it's
   all the free speech we've got.

   Mr. Eisner, please stay home.

   Sincerely,

   Donald B. Marti Jr.
   American

   For more information:
   cryptome.org/sssca.htm

Secure your servers with 128-bit SSL encryption! Grab your copy of VeriSign's FREE Guide, "Securing Your Web
site for Business" and learn all about serious security. Get it Now!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/r0k.gC/oT7CAA/yigFAA/HKFolB/TM

----- End forwarded message -----

--      Kevin "The Alchemist" Sonney      --
--  New email : alchemist at darkcanvas.com  --
--  http://www.darkcanvas.com/~alchemist  --
--  ICQ: 4855069            AIM: ksonney  --

"If you'll read the subtext for many of those old strips, you'll find
the heart of an old-fashioned Libertarian. And I'd be a Libertarian,
if they weren't all a bunch of tax-dodging professional whiners."
  -- Berkley Breathed, 2001