No subject

Sun Jun 2 12:36:39 EDT 2013

----------------------------
-w     Use write-mode test. With this option, badblocks scans  for  bad
       blocks  by  writing  some  patterns  (0xaa, 0x55, 0xff, 0x00) on
       every block of the device, reading every block and comparing the
       contents.   This  option may not be combined with the -n option,
       as they are mutually exclusive.

WARNING
 Never use the -w option on an device containing an existing  file  sys-
 tem.  This option erases data!  If you want to do write-mode testing on
 an existing file system, use the -n option instead.  It is slower,  but
 it will preserve your data.

On Tue, 2003-02-04 at 11:47, Andrew Perrin wrote:
> How about something like: (UNTESTED)
>
> cat /dev/zero > /dev/hd*
>
> where * is the appropriate device.

> Andrew J Perrin - http://www.unc.edu/~aperrin
> Assistant Professor of Sociology, U of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
> clists at perrin.socsci.unc.edu * andrew_perrin (at) unc.edu
>

> On Tue, 4 Feb 2003, Morris Walton wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am migrating/merging three old drives into one new one and will
> > attempt to sell my old drives.  I want to destroy the data on the old
> > drives more thoroughly than just doing a re-partition.  What utility
> > would you recommend?
> >
> > Thanks for the help!
> >
> > Morris

  "Microsoft, where quality is job 1.1" -Anonymous